• Course Objectives- World History

    Students will become globally competent by acquiring understanding about the history and current situations in the world around them.  They will understand the cyclical nature of history, and will be able to identify causes and effects related to major events in the history of human civilization.  Students will readily identify locations on a world map and understand the connections between societies and how those connections may affect their own everyday lives. 

    Course Objective- Government


    The government course provides students with a background in the philosophy, functions, and structure of the United States government. Students examine the philosophical foundations of the United States government and how that philosophy developed. Students also examine the structure and function of the United States government and its relationship to states and citizens.



    Students should expect fair and unbiased instruction in a safe and supportive learning environment.  I expect that students will come to class on time and prepared to participate, and that students will contribute to a positive atmosphere in the classroom.  Classroom policies are simple: all JHS school rules are to be followed, per the 2018-2019 Student Handbook.  Students will be polite and respectful to the instructor and to one another, as well as to the classroom and materials.  Students will engage in proper “netiquette” when online for the course.  Standards for netiquette can be found here: http://www.studygs.net/netiquette.htm.  

    Parents: dates for distribution of progress reports for the entire school year will be listed on the school website.  It is the responsibility of the student to bring the report home.  You have ready access to your child’s grades and attendance records through the Infinite Campus system.  Please access this information on a regular basis to keep tabs on your child’s progress in school. 


    Grading Policy

    Student’s grades are divided into three categories in Social Studies courses:  Formative Assessments (50%) and Tests/Major Projects (50%).  This total comprises 80% of the semester grade, with the final exam counting as the remaining 20%.  Grades are calculated using the following scale:  90%=A, 80%=B, 70%=C, I=Incomplete (1 or more assignments are missing or have not met the standard).  Extra credit assignments are sometimes provided on a class basis, never individually.  I am frequently available after school to provide extra help or to allow time for students to make up missed work—schedules will be posted on the board in the classroom and sent out via Remind.

    *Parents, please note: final exams are scheduled during the last 3 days of each semester.  Students may not take a final exam outside of that time frame.  Exam exemption status is not determined until that week.  Please do not make appointments or early travel plans until you have written confirmation of your child’s exemption status for the course.


    You may email me at elrodt@bcssk12.org (first preference).  If you do not receive a response within 24 hours, please try again. I am usually very quick to respond but there can sometimes be an error in communication.  I will regularly communicate through Remind, so please have your student sign up as soon as possible (parents are welcomed also!):  https://www.remind.com/join/elrod2020, or text @elrod2020 to 81010.